FASHION. MUSIC. BRUTAL HONESTY.

Saturday, 21 July 2012

THE VINTAGE DEBATE - DISPOSABLE FASHION?



WE ARE THE ICONS


POST-UNIVERSITY I FIND MYSELF IN A PREDICAMENT. THIS IS ONE ENTIRELY OF MY OWN MAKING, BUT A PREDICAMENT NONETHELESS.

I HAVE TOO MANY CLOTHES AND NOT ENOUGH ROOM. NOW NEVER ONE TO MOAN ON THE GROUNDS OF FASHION-EXCESS, THAT WOULD BE PLAIN FOOLISH, I AM FINDING THE ISSUE RATHER TRYING.

HERE LIES THE ROOT OF THE MATTER. I HAVE BEEN AN AVID SHOPPER SINCE THE AGE OF 16, BEFORE THIS TIME I WAS A COMPLETE CHAV AND THEREFORE DISCARD THESE FASHION YEARS, AS A RESULT MY WARDROBE HAS GROWN TO MAMMOTH PROPORTIONS. AS A RULE I BUY TIMELESS PIECES, NOT REALLY TREND-LED, THEREFORE MY SELECTIONS NEVER FALL OUT OF FASHION, BECAUSE THEY NEVER WERE IN FASHION, YA' GET ME?

ANYWAY I'M NATTERING, LET ME GET TO THE POINT. WHILE IN COLLEGE I BEGAN A COSTLY, CONSUMING AFFAIR. AN AFFAIR THAT WOULD INSPIRE, MOULD AND GENERALLY TRANSFIX ME UNTIL MY 3RD YEAR OF UNIVERSITY. THIS AFFAIR WAS WITH VINTAGE FASHION.

UNFORTUNATELY THE AFFAIR BEGAN TO FADE AND FALL APART TOWARDS THE END OF MY GAP YEAR IN LONDON INTERNING. LONDON HAD TAKEN THE GIRLIE, CUTESY STYLE OF MY YOUNGER YEARS AND MOULDED IT INTO A MORE POLISHED, PREMIUM LOOK. A LOOK OF TAILORED WOOL BOUCLE JACKETS, ARM CANDY TROPHIES, BOY TEES AND LEATHER SKINNIES. IN FEWER WORDS I BECAME CONFIDENTLY COOL, MATURE AND ORIGINAL, PRESENTED IN A STRIKINGLY STYLISH PACKAGE.

SUDDENLY BEYOND RETRO WASN'T MY IDEA OF AN EPIC SUNDAY, WESTFIELD AND HARRODS STARTED TO CALL MY NAME. NOW LET'S NOT PAINT PICTURES OF DESIGNER HAULS AND MORE MONEY THAN SENSE, BECAUSE THAT SIMPLY WASN'T THE CASE. HOWEVER QUALITY AND CUT BECAME THE DRIVING FACTORS BEHIND CREDIT CARD INDULGENCES. I INVESTED IN MULBERRY, ALLSAINTS & COS.

AND SUDDENLY MY 1950'S CIRCLE SKIRTS, MID-WEST COWBOY BOOTS AND 40'S TEA DRESSES BEGAN TO LOOSE THEIR SHINE, ABRUPTLY PUSHED TO THE BACK OF THE WARDROBE, DISCARDED FROM DAILY DRESS SELECTIONS. SUCH IS LIFE.

FAST FORWARD 12 MONTHS AND THESE ONCE TREASURED PIECES REMAIN UN-WORN. IT'S SAD BUT THE REALITY OF STYLE EVOLUTION. SO WE REACH THE POINT OF THIS POST, MY VINTAGE CLOTHES NO LONGER HOLD A PLACE IN MY WARDROBE AND SO MUST BE DEALT WITH. THE CRUX OF THE MATTER, I SIMPLY NO LONGER HAVE THE ROOM TO HOUSE NOSTALGIC MOMENTOS OF A STYLE GONE BY. THE ANSWER? A SWIFT BUT SHARP CULL. I TOYED WITH THE IDEA OF EBAY-ING THE LOT, BUT I'M A WORKING WOMAN AND THAT AVENUE SCREAMS EFFORT. SO PACKED UP IN CHARITY BAGS, I PLAN TO DONATE MY VINTAGE BUYS TO A LOCAL BRANCH OF OXFAM. IT SEEMS THE MOST LOGICAL AND POSITIVE RESOLUTION TO THE SITUATION.

YET I DO WONDER IF ONE DAY I'LL WAKE UP AND HUNGER FOR MY OLD CLOTHES. A CLEVER PERSON ONCE TOLD ME AN ANALOGY REFERRING TO ONES INABILITY TO LIVE IN THE PAST, THIS IS PERHAPS SOMETHING TO BE CONTEMPLATED WHEN THIS TIME ARISES. 


YIKES, IN REFLECTION THIS POST SOUNDS RATHER DRAMATIC AND EMOTIONAL. BUT WHEN DISCUSSING FASHION, SURELY ONE IS ALLOWED A MEASURE OF MELLOW DRAMATICS?

L.

IMAGES: GOOGLE

2 comments:

Let's have a chat, get all wordy and generally comment away. I can't wait to hear your comment and thoughts. Follow me on GFC and Bloglovin

L.

p.s. don't forget to leave your blog URL's, there's nothing more exciting than discovering another super rad blog to follow