FASHION. MUSIC. BRUTAL HONESTY.

Sunday, 15 July 2012

MILES KANE.

I CONSTANTLY CHANGE MY FEELINGS TOWARDS MILES KANE. 

DURING HIS LAST SHADOW PUPPET/RASCALS YEARS, I WAS A DEVOTED FAN. WHILE I DIDN'T ATTEND GIGS (THIS WAS COLLEGE AND I WAS TOO WAG-ISH FOR SWEATY MUSIC HOLES), I HAD ALL THE ALBUMS AND KNEW ALL THE SONGS. 'MY MISTAKES WERE MADE FOR YOU' HIT NEAR A HUNDRED ON THE PLAY COUNT OF MY IPOD, WHILE THE COOL RUSSIAN-KGB STYLE VID FOR 'THE AGE OF THE UNDERSTATEMENT', A FIRM FIXTURE ON MY YOUTUBE PLAY LIST. COMMITTED I WAS.


THE LAST SHADOW PUPPETS: MY MISTAKES WERE MADE FOR YOU (2008)

FAST FORWARD 2011, MILES KANE'S FIRST SOLO PROJECT, 'COLOUR OF THE TRAP', IS REVIEWED IN THE TIMES. FEELINGS ARE SOMEWHAT MIXED AND A SENSE OF DISAPPOINTMENT IS APPARENT. I DOWNLOAD NONETHELESS, PARTLY BECAUSE I ADORE THE COOL 1960'S MOD-STYLE ALBUM ARTWORK, AND PARTLY BECAUSE I WAS DESPERATE FOR A SECOND DOSE OF KANE GENIUS. FOR SOME REASON, I WASN'T COMPLETELY TAKEN WITH THE ALBUM AT FIRST, I'LL ADMIT I DIDN'T VENTURE FURTHER THAT TRACK 3 AND THEN SOMEWHAT RETIRED FROM EXPLORATION.

THEORETICALLY MILES KANE IS QUITE LITERALLY THE MAN FOR ME (MUSICALLY OF COURSE). HIS STYLE IS CONSIDERED, SHARP AND COMMANDING. HE FINDS HIS INSPIRATION AND IDENTITY IN 1960'S MOD-CULTURE, WHICH IS BASICALLY IN MY BLOOD (FATHER: COMMITTED MODERNIST), AND HE EVOKES IMAGES OF OLD-SCHOOL ROCK AND ROLL. SIMPLY PUT, MILES KANE IS UNAPOLOGETICALLY COOL.
MY AFFAIR WITH MILES REIGNITED WHEN I HEARD 'FIRST OF MY KIND'. IT WAS AMAZING. I LOVED THE HEAVY GUITAR RIFTS AND PUNKY DRUM-SET. HOOKED, AGAIN. NOW I'M THE KIND OF GIRL WHOSE FULLY WILLING TO ADMIT WHEN SHE'S WRONG (THIS IS NOT VERY OFTEN), AND SO I WENT BACK TO 'COLOUR OF THE TRAP', RE-LISTED, REVIEWED AND FINALLY FOUND LOVE. YEP, IT'S A PRETTY DECENT ALBUM, I'M WILLING TO ADMIT. PROPS KANE.


A MERE DEMONSTRATION OF HOW COOL THIS CHAP IS, UNDERSTAND NOW?

L.

IMAGES: CLASHMUSIC.COM, MILESKANE.COM, ESQUIRE

2 comments:

Let's have a chat, get all wordy and generally comment away. I can't wait to hear your comment and thoughts. Follow me on GFC and Bloglovin

L.

p.s. don't forget to leave your blog URL's, there's nothing more exciting than discovering another super rad blog to follow